Saturday, July 28, 2007

Enterprise Service Oriented Architectures

I just finished reading the book Enterprise Service Oriented Architectures. There were a few decent pieces of information, but overall I was not very impressed. Some of the content was OK, but the grammatical errors and different writing styles made it a very disappointing read. There were four different authors which contributed to the flow problems, and it was obvious that some of the chapters were more poorly written than others. In addition, it didn't seem like anyone even proofed the book. I can understand a few errors, but I found myself re-reading sentence after sentence trying to understand what words were missing, misspelled or out-of-place.

The chapter on transactions was pretty decent. I liked the information on compensating transactions, which I had heard called three phase commit previously. The chapter on UDDI was pretty decent as well. I was disappointed in the last chapter on Event-Driven Architecture. It just seemed to be a hodge-podge catch all of the author's thoughts without much meat.

No comments: