Saturday, January 17, 2009

Code Freeze

I attended the Code Freeze conference at the University of Minnesota on Thursday. It was an excellent local event, especially considering it was an all-day event for only $90. This was the first year I've attended Code Freeze; this year's theme was Maximizing Developer Value. Neal Ford kicked things off and as usual he knocked it out of the park. His topic was On the Lamb from the Furniture Police. It covered the fact that as programmers we're hired to concentrate for long periods of time, yet corporate environments provide the exact opposite affect.

Other speakers included Luke Francl, Nate Schutta, Susan Standiford, Andy Miller and Tomo Lennox. I was very impressed with Nate's presentation, it seemed to directly pick-up where Neil left off. I was particularly interested in Nate's comments about the working of the human brain, as it is an area of interest for me.

I was also intrigued by Andy's presentation entitled "Why I don’t estimate with "points" (and how you too can be delivered from the tedium of repetitive estimation)". Andy and I are currently at the same client working together on a large re-engineering project. I haven't work with Andy for long, but I was very impressed with his presentation and was impressed with his pragmatic approach to estimating. It definitely opened my eyes to new ideas.

No comments: