Saturday, January 10, 2009

Hackers and Painters

One of my 2009 resolutions is to read more. I just finished up Hackers and Painters. I had made it half-way through a couple of years ago and decided to start over and I made it all the way through. A quick and insightful read. Paul Graham is fairly opinionated, which makes for a good read. I've never seen Lisp, but I am very curious if it as good as he claims. Based on my experiences, I definitely agree with his thoughts on development productivity. It makes me that much more interested in learning Ruby and Rails. The last time I worked seriously with a dynamic language was with Perl in college when we were building the Heil X6 SMT's kernel, simulator and assembler. The Heil X6 was the computer we (a team of 6 graduate and undergraduates) built in our ECE 554 Digital Engineering Lab using FPGAs that we had to hand-wire. What a trip!

No comments: