Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Spring Experience 2007

Last night The Spring Experience kicked off in Hollywood, FL. It's the first time I've attended. It's run by SpringSource (used to be Interface 21) in conjunction with No Fluff Just Stuff. I've attended several NFJS conferences and have always been impressed with the content and how they are run.

Rod Johnson was the keynote speaker last night, and his theme was The Changing of the Guard. Basically, people are switching from Java EE to Spring. Not surprisingly, he's essentially saying that Java EE is a dinosaur. He's been saying this for quite some time, and he's largely been right all along. I can't remember when his first of three books was published, but it was around 2002. In his presentation, Rod had some interesting quotes from a Gartner report that came out several months ago that basically reinforced what Rod was stating. I'd like to read the full report, but I'm sure it's fairly costly to obtain. Rod always has interesting things to say, but of the times I've seen him speak, this was the least interesting. Maybe it's because he's become more concerned about running a company or the fact that keynotes are rarely very technical.

Before Rod started, Keith Donald spent about 30 minutes going through each of the tracks and sessions including photos of speakers. In my opinion it was a complete waste of time. On top of that, they started the show about 30 minutes late, so I felt like it was an hour wasted. Everyone waited patiently though, because they new Rod was speaking next.

No comments: